If you would like to support The Wooden Canal Boat Society and have some time on your hands then why not become a volunteer? You don’t necessarily need experience just be adaptable, reliable and a team player who’s willing to work alone on something when necessary.
Currently we really need more people to be Trustees. To do this you need to gain knowledge of the Society and its aims then be able to look forward with maybe business or management skills to help us further our aims whilst keeping within the bounds of charity governance.
We also need people to do other admin work as below:-
- Newsletter – we need someone to gather information for inclusion in our 3 times a year newsletters, initially to pass on to the current editor but also with a view to becoming editor in the future. This person could also use the information for the Annual Reports for AGM in March annually.
- Similarly, someone to act as webmaster and update the website (on WordPress) on a regular basis with WCBS events, stories and photos.
- We currently advertise Hazel on online accommodation websites but with her at 3 different sites. We need someone to oversee this work, to keep track of bookings at all the sites so she is not double-booked.
- Manage Hazel’s bookings, arranging cleaning between trips, meeting the customers, being a contact point for them during their stay etc.
- General handy-persons. We have a shop manager in Ashton shop but sometimes there are problems outside of her duties. We need someone who can deal with these or oversee getting a trades-person to do so. Similarly we have a boat-yard in Stalybridge which needs to be maintained regularly so people can go to work there knowing necessary tools etc are available, tidy and in place. There is also a small garden area at the boatyard which needs general maintenance.
- General marketing person. Ensuring that the leaflet holders in our shop and at Portland Basin are kept well stocked: liaising with Portland Basin museum staff re our displays; general maintenance of all marketing materials by working with the relevant managers.
- Publicity / Education person; arranging with volunteers to have people giving talks / showing the public around our boats and talking about their history. Visiting schools or societies to update them about our work and the boats’ industrial heritage (some material for this is available but an interest in the history would be essential).
- Marketing and Education manager. To oversee all publicity and help to produce new items as necessary. To find new areas for marketing and education to spread the word further about our work.
- Sponsorship secretary. To keep the current sponsorship spreadsheet updated by liaising with the treasurer and membership secretary. To find new sponsors especially businesses to enable us to maintain Hazel for her well-being trips.
- Membership secretary. As above, to maintain the current spreadsheet, send out the newsletters and help with membership drives and publicity.
If you like being online, we need people who can look out for funding opportunities, write bids and deal with the process or find sites where we can find more volunteers. Also more help is needed selling things online which have been donated to us. This would entail working in a small office in our shop.
If any of these sound interesting, or you would like to help in our shop or with hands-on boat work, do get in touch-email firstname.lastname@example.org