Sadler dressing table set for sale in WCBS shop. £60
Two of our Society, Phil Handscomb and Daniel Cocker, were recently invited to an evening with Tameside Rotary Club, where their president, Andy Williams, presented them with a £200 cheque.
This generous donation will help fund a trip for those with poor mental health who will benefit from the well-being properties of time on the canal. Often those people, and the Societies who help them, do not have the necessary funds for the very help they need.
Many thanks from us all.
See more of what Tameside Rotary club do here: http://www.tamesiderotaryclub.com/.
We’re having a clothes sale in our Charity Shop at 173 Stamford Street Central, Ashton-under-Lyne, so if you’re looking for some new clothes, come and have a look.
Items for sale from £1: How can you refuse!
Our summer newsletter will be hitting your doormats (or your inbox) very soon giving lots of chat about what we have done and are planning to do – with lots of photographic evidence too.
If you’d like to receive one of these three times a year just fill in the membership form attached and send to the membership secretary at the shop address on the form with your cheque or email the form to email@example.com and pay via BACS to our account. Please ensure you state your name on payments and state on the emailed form that’s how you’re paying. Our (newish) bank details are:-
Co-op Bank Community Direct Plus Account
Sort Code 08 92 99
Acc. Number 65789829
As many of our members now receive the newsletter electronically, keeping our costs down, we’ve been able to maintain our membership fee at the same level for some time and also offer a lower fee for unwaged or regular volunteers.
1-7th June is Volunteers’ Week and here at the Wooden Canal Boat Society we’d like to say a huge
THANK YOU Vielen Dank Ευχαριστώ Aitäh Dziękuję Ci
♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥
to all our volunteers, past and present. We couldn’t do it without you.
BUT (oh, there’s always a ‘but’ !!) we really need more of you to join our team. Our shop is always in need of good, reliable drivers and our management team in need of people to do the admin work to back up everyone else. So if you’ve any experience or skills in any kind of admin from basic stuff like keeping records to managing volunteers, fundraising or finance work please do get in touch.
If you email firstname.lastname@example.org your email will be replied to immediately.
Our 2017 AGM was held in the shop yesterday. We would like to welcome Tony Hewitson to the Trustee team to join with Dan Cocker. Kath Walls has stood down to concentrate on finance and Dave Wilson has also stood down to concentrate on his life !! Many thanks to Dave who joined us as the Hazel Project was in its infancy.
This does leave us with openings for new trustees. Some new volunteers came to the meeting and between them and current people it was agreed that some would shadow the Council of Management for a while and then an extra-ordinary meeting would be held to elect one or more to join Tony and Dan without waiting for next year’s AGM.
However more admin people are still needed in all areas so please do look at the Vacancies page here on the website to see if there is any area that you can help us in………if you’ve any queries or doubts please do email email@example.com. Thank you.
Do you know how to raise money for The Wooden Canal Boat Society without spending a penny extra and maybe even saving yourself some money?
>>>> Do you search online? Then use
>>> Do you buy online? Then use
>>> Do you travel by train? Then use https://wcbs.trainsplit.com/main.aspx
THANK YOU !
If you would like to support The Wooden Canal Boat Society and have some time on your hands then why not become a volunteer? You don’t necessarily need experience just be adaptable, reliable and a team player who’s willing to work alone on something when necessary.
Currently we really need more people to be Trustees. To do this you need to gain knowledge of the Society and its aims then be able to look forward with maybe business or management skills to help us further our aims whilst keeping within the bounds of charity governance.
We also need people to do other admin work as below:-
- Newsletter – we need someone to gather information for inclusion in our 3 times a year newsletters, initially to pass on to the current editor but also with a view to becoming editor in the future. This person could also use the information for the Annual Reports for AGM in March annually.
- Similarly, someone to act as webmaster and update the website (on WordPress) on a regular basis with WCBS events, stories and photos.
- We currently advertise Hazel on online accommodation websites but with her at 3 different sites. We need someone to oversee this work, to keep track of bookings at all the sites so she is not double-booked.
- Manage Hazel’s bookings, arranging cleaning between trips, meeting the customers, being a contact point for them during their stay etc.
- General handy-persons. We have a shop manager in Ashton shop but sometimes there are problems outside of her duties. We need someone who can deal with these or oversee getting a trades-person to do so. Similarly we have a boat-yard in Stalybridge which needs to be maintained regularly so people can go to work there knowing necessary tools etc are available, tidy and in place. There is also a small garden area at the boatyard which needs general maintenance.
- General marketing person. Ensuring that the leaflet holders in our shop and at Portland Basin are kept well stocked: liaising with Portland Basin museum staff re our displays; general maintenance of all marketing materials by working with the relevant managers.
- Publicity / Education person; arranging with volunteers to have people giving talks / showing the public around our boats and talking about their history. Visiting schools or societies to update them about our work and the boats’ industrial heritage (some material for this is available but an interest in the history would be essential).
- Marketing and Education manager. To oversee all publicity and help to produce new items as necessary. To find new areas for marketing and education to spread the word further about our work.
- Sponsorship secretary. To keep the current sponsorship spreadsheet updated by liaising with the treasurer and membership secretary. To find new sponsors especially businesses to enable us to maintain Hazel for her well-being trips.
- Membership secretary. As above, to maintain the current spreadsheet, send out the newsletters and help with membership drives and publicity.
If you like being online, we need people who can look out for funding opportunities, write bids and deal with the process or find sites where we can find more volunteers. Also more help is needed selling things online which have been donated to us. This would entail working in a small office in our shop.
If any of these sound interesting, or you would like to help in our shop or with hands-on boat work, do get in touch-email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are interested in our Society or would just like to find out more, we should like to invite you to our AGM which is being held in our shop, 173 Stamford Street Ashton under Lyne at 12 noon on 23rd April so please come along and meet us there. To ensure there will be enough cake, please email email@example.com with numbers.
Anyone can come along, but only paid up members can vote (join on the day). If you would like to be part of our team then please send your name to us before the meeting so we can include it in the voting. To see what opportunities there are please look at the Vacancies page which you can find on the home page of this website, under our photo.
Please note that comments to posts here are not regularly monitored. If you wish to get in touch with us it’s better to email firstname.lastname@example.org
You could of course volunteer to monitor the comments ! Have a look at all the volunteering opportunities on the Vacancy page